Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Last Puff

In what elapsed between my breath and then,
When that Cadillac whisked the lovers away,
In what elapsed between a moment and then,
When the fog horn aloud, missed the bay,
I held you within.

That night when the clouds burst and went,
When that drop off the sill,
Dripped from my cheek to neck,
I held you within.

In that tiny spell,
A gasp of air as I drowned in my self.
For the briefest of moments we met-
You, my loneliness and me.
The last puff, one deep drag,
Ah! A sting, my lips;
And you too vanished in to the wet air.

Once again in the company of none,
I wished, along you had taken me too.

2 comments:

AtomicGitten said...

I really loved this piece- It sounds so lonely, so undone in the moment of departure... it was truly beautiful :) Thank you for giving me something like this to read today :)

Here's a line that came to mind:

"Draw from the flying dark its breath of due,
till the unliving come to life in you."- Judith Wright, Train Journey.

AtomicGitten said...

Officially my favorite!